Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

18 lb cat won't eat or drink. She's been bomiting 2 days.

Customer Question
18 lb cat won't...

18 lb cat won't eat or drink. She's been bomiting 2 days. Goes to litter box but can't use it. Lies on her towel and soft poo runs out. Smells horrible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Little Mama (lol)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Recently had a complete exam. Other than weight, she was fine.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/31/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Little Mama isn't feeling well. At age 18, she might have develop a number of problems that can cause not eating and drinking, and vomiting, including kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, and cancer, to name a few. Kidney disease and diabetes cause water loss from the body, which leads to dehydration and can result in constipation and straining to poop. Soft poop comes out around the big constipated stool on its own.

Since there are a few different things that can be causing her signs, I recommend getting her to the vet for some lab work including a CBC, chemistry/profile, thyroid check, and urinalysis. Your vet will also recommend treatment with fluids to get her rehydrated, as well as some anti-nausea medication and appetite stimulant. They may also want to give her an enema/ Many of the conditions that cats can develop in old age, such as kidney disease and diabetes, can be treated for some time with a good quality of life.

I didn't say the cat was 18 years old. She is only 5 years old, but she weighs 18 pounds. I was hoping you could tell me something I could do to help Little Mama. It's the weekend and our vet is closed. I will take her in for a check up Monday, but I wanted advice on how to relieve her over the weekend. I am not pleased with this service.

Oh, sorry I misread. At her age, then, most likely she has something called megacolon, which causes constipation. If it's bad enough, it can cause vomiting and not wanting to eat. She needs to have the poop blocking her intestines removed, but over-the-counter enemas are not safe for pets. You could try giving her some canned pumpkin to help bulk up and soften her stool and make it easier to pass. I would make sure she is adequately hydrated by adding a teaspoon of low-sodium beef or chicken broth to a bowl of fresh water.

I'm sorry about the confusion.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Rachel
We had to euthanize Little Mama. She had cancer...
Cat was euthanized