Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 8 yo cat, Harley has been steadily loosing weight. Over…

Customer Question
My 8 yo cat...

My 8 yo cat, Harley has been steadily loosing weight. Over the past year he has gone from 11.8 (which was heavy for his size) to 8,8 lbs. He is not a large cat but I think 8,8 is on the low side. He eats fine and is relatively active. I feed him Royal Canin urinary canned food and 9 lives canned tuna. The Royal Canin is because my other 1 yo cat had urinary crystals and has to be on the special diet. Harley gets about 1 can +/- per day. All other functions seem fine. Should I be worried?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

He is otherwise healthy and is an indoor cat.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/31/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Eli, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Eli
Dr Eli, Veterinarian

Good morning,

Sorry Harley is having problems,

My initial thoughts for an 8 year old cat losing weight but still eating well is that it could be hyperthyroidism. I would recommend having blood test run to rule this out. Also your vet will probably run test to evaluate the kidneys and liver which can begin to fail as cats age. I think the food you are feeding is just fine. If all test are normal, I would not be concerned unless the weight loss continues.

Thank you for your question, I hope this information helps.

Eli Williams, DVM

Good morning,

I hope my answer gave you some information that you can use to make a decision. Could you please rate my answer

I'm sorry, I am not able to access the ratings.

Ok, I don't know how to help you with that,but maybe someone with JA can.

Your answer was helpful, 4 stars. I have cancelled my order and will need to unsubscribe or block your emails because my order is cancelled.

ok, thank you