Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat has dilated pupils and foaming at the mouth. Indoor cat.

Customer Question
Cat has dilated pupils...

Cat has dilated pupils and foaming at the mouth. Indoor cat. Nothing unusual or out of place that cat could’ve ingested.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Cat will be able to digest that. What is the Cat's name and age?

Prince 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Prince?

No he is otherwise healthy and normal cat

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Hello
3/31/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear about Prince. Did you apply an kind of flea medication on him?

No. Nothing different at all.
We came home from dinner and noticed small bits of foam around the house and then found him in our bed lethargic some what. Pupils dilated.

That sounds to me like he might have had a seizure.

My mom said the same. Is there anything to be done?

This can happen in older cats due to metabolic problems, a brain tumor, or epilepsy. I recommend getting some lab work done at the vet to figure out what is going on. I would ask them to do a CBC, chemistry/profile, thyroid check, and urinalysis to rule out things such as liver and kidney disease, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism and hypertension. Many of these conditions can be treated with medication if caught early enough.

If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking 5 stars at the top of your screen. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have anymore questions.

Ok thank you. How can I make him comfortable tonight?

Assuming he enjoys the attention, I would try to keep him close to you at night. Talk in a soothing voice and pet him. It will help him to know that you are there.

If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking 5 stars. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any more questions.