Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is about 9 - 10 years old. He seems to have persistent…

Customer Question
He is about 9...

He is about 9 - 10 years old. He seems to have persistent diarrhea - both in the litter box and then on the floor. I took him to the vet, but he said that he couldn't find anything wrong with the cat. Could the cat treats that my husband gives him twice a day be causing this problem?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Did you see my message back to you?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

He doesn't seem to be hurting - but looks as though he has lost weight

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name?

Brody

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Brody?

Not sure - the cat is about 9-10 years old, was spayed and neutered when I got him as a kitten, is an indoor cat with all of his claws; just that the cat looks like he has lost weight. I feed him Iams Indoor food and the treats that my husband gives him are Temptations

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/30/2018
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Brody today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Did your vet perform any sort of testing on Brody? Stool sample analysis? Bloodwork?

to both questions plus cleaned out his anal glands

Was he tested for an overactive thyroid gland?

Has any medication been prescribed?

no - prefer e-mail; thank you

If you are receiving an offer for a phone consultation, please note that it is not from me. It is autogenerated by the site. I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time but would be happy to continue chatting with you here.

he was, but not prescribed any medication. the thyroid tests were negative

This is a very common scenario in cats and it is likely that there is disease present, but that it is hiding very well. Most of the time with the symptoms you describe, the most likely location of the problem is the GI tract. Some cats have a low-grade flare-up of pancreatitis which can be a challenge to confirm as it is not always evident on routine bloodwork. Along with that, many of these same cats also have a degree of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or even slow-growing intestinal cancer. Unfortunately, either of these can be present and there can be no other abnormalities noted on bloodwork, x-ray or even ultrasound, although these tests should be run to rule out other conditions that present with the same symptoms. There is a specific GI blood panel that can be requested and if abnormalities noted, can lend support to either pancreatic or intestinal disease. The only way, however, to confirm the diagnosis is with a biopsy of the intestine. This can be done via an endoscope but is better performed by an exploratory surgery. The problem with this is that many cat owners are not willing to pursue the diagnosis by these means. It is for that reason that many cats are "suspected" to have IBD or GI cancer as the cause of their weight loss and diarrhea once all of the other easy to find things have been ruled out.

we originally thought that it was due to my husband changing the cat's food, so we changed it back and have not changed it since.
Thank you

I suspect that may be where you are at with Brody. If that is the case, you can discuss with your veterinarian the pros and cons of proceeding with a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. Even if you choose to not go the route of biopsy, he may benefit from a course of corticosteroids and perhaps a hypoallergenic diet as sometimes food allergies contribute to the IBD. There are other medications and supplements used to manage IBD as well. Steroids help many cats with either of the two conditions to regain their appetite and gain weight, but if there is intestinal cancer, the result may be short-lived. We see cases like this quite often and in most cases we are able to offer some relief with some combination of medication.

the cat always seems to be eating

Here is a link with more information about inflammatory bowel disease in cats. LINK HERE

Yes, if there is intestinal disease, his gut is not able to digest or absorb the food properly and that is why he has diarrhea and loses weight.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.