Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I found a stray cat 3 weeks ago. She was spayed last week…

Customer Question
I found a stray...

I found a stray cat 3 weeks ago. She was spayed last week and has been sneezing since returning from being fixed. The sneezing is increasing and now she is having left eye clear discharge. I can hear her congestion when she breathes and she sneezes out gunk. I called the vet in my area and they could not see her because they had no openings. With it being a holiday weekend they can’t see her till Tuesday. I was wondering can I give her penicillin from the feed store like I give to my dogs?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Raven

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Raven?

No I’ve only had her a few weeks. She was a cat someone sat because she was pregnant when we got her fixed. She is a inside cat also.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/30/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that Raven isn't feeling well. It sounds as though she has contracted an upper respiratory infection. Steps that you can take at home to control her symptoms until she can be seen by your veterinarian include:

1. Offering warmed/canned food to encourage her appetite. Cats with respiratory infections have decreased sense of smell and may have loss of appetite.

2. Keeping her in the bathroom while the humans take a warm steamy shower. This will provide her with a nebulization treatment of warm/moist air to help break of her respiratory and nasal secretions.

Regarding your question about antibiotics, most feline upper respiratory infections are viral and will not respond to antibiotic treatment. If she is still symptomatic on Tuesday, when seen by your veterinarian, they may prescribe appropriate antibiotic medication.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Denise

Hi, It's Dr. Denise checking on Raven. How is she doing?

Are there any additional questions that I can assist you with regarding her care?