Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a nursing Mom- she has diarrhea since giving birth 5…

Customer Question
I have a nursing...

I have a nursing Mom- she has diarrhea since giving birth 5 days ago. What is safe to give her?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Kittens are doing well

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the kitten seem to hurt?

No, the kittens are fine- the mom has diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

What is safe to give mom please?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the kitten eating normally?

Excuse me, are you actually reading this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the kitten having trouble peeing or pooing?

Apparently not!

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the kitten behaving differently?

Mother cat has diarrhea!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Mom!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mom?

You are useless :(

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/30/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

No changes to anything. She is confined so hasn’t gotten into anything. What is gage to give her for the diarrhea?
Safe not gage

Since she's nursing, it would be recommended to avoid giving any oral medications that might be passed to the kittens through her milk. If her diarrhea persists, I would urge you to have diagnostics performed by your vet, especially if mom has little to no known medical history. If she is a stray, she could p[otentially have intestinal parasites or protozoan that could be passed on to her kittens, other cats in the home or even you/your family.

It is safe to move her to a high fiber, bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

What meds are safe to give her? She had babies 5 days ago and has diarrhea.

Did you see my reply above? Did it come through?

I know you cannot diagnosis the reason for it- just want to get it under control until she can go to the Vet
your reply came through! I answered already
Please answer my question.

Ok I am not going to pay for this.
I will deal with this on my own.
I am done here. Service is not acceptable
Do NOT charge my credit card. I will dispute any charges