Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat Skinny has been pulling out chunks of hair on his…

Customer Question
Hey, my cat Skinny...

Hey, my cat Skinny has been pulling out chunks of hair on his tail and right between his shoulder blades. He has a little bald spot on his tail about 2inches by an inch and a half. I also believe he may have lost a pound or two. We took him to the vet yesterday after noticing his tail and they told us it was due to stress. This just didn’t sit well with me as nothing has changed in his environment to my knowledge. Is there anything else that this could be or am I just overly concerned?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Skinny?

He has asthma but, no other health issues.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
The vet did not do any blood work but his temp was 99 degrees and they said his heart sounded good. There was also no sign of fleas or any other parisites. When they did check his tail he screamed and hissed this is also unusual behavior he is normally a very good patient and extremely social. He is not one to over groom or get upset over things he has the temperment of a friendly dog. I’m just curious if I should take him to another vet or if it is stress I don’t want to stress him out more. Hope this all makes sense thanks for the help!
Jessica
He is also 5 years old
12.3 lbs
3/30/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

He is acting 90% normal but, I’m still noticing little tuffs of hair about once a day and he seems less interested in food/water. He is eating and drinking just not as much as he normally would.

Will you please attach pictures of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.