Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our 9 yr. old indoor cat has started peeing in the sink and…

Customer Question
Our 9 yr. old...

Our 9 yr. old indoor cat has started peeing in the sink and bare floor and trying to cover. Cat box is being used also but has to share with 3 other cats in house. Why is he doing this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

Peeing in sink and on bare floor.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he's 9 yrs.old and neutered.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Joey?

He has a small lump on his side that has been slowly growing but only seems skin deep and not attached.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/30/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this going on with your guy, Joey. Ok. Urinating inappropriately could be due to a physical issue (urinary tract infection) or due to a behavioral one. The physical issue, the UTI (urinary tract infection), would be the easiest thing to deal with. If there is a bacterial infection in the bladder it can cause irritation and urination in the wrong areas. This is diagnosed by a urine sample through your vet. They can then do antibiotics to treat it. If it is ruled out, then a behavioral issue is then at hand. This can be as simple as the litter box isn't being as clean as it should be. I would have at least 5 litter boxes in this house and they should be scooped daily. Some cats can start to be very fastidious and not like dirty litter boxes. The boxes shouldn't be covered as that can trap odors in them and not let them air out. I would also make sure there are no stressors in the house that may be causing him to not use the litter boxes as he should.