Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has a red on his tongue lots of drooling and bad odor.

Customer Question
He has a red...

He has a red mark on his tongue lots of drooling and bad odor. He’s drinking 10x the amount of water than usual and is barely eating. All his teeth look fine and none are loose. His gums are red or inflamed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name and age?

Romeo he just turned 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Romeo?

Very healthy cuddly cat. He hasn’t showed any signs of less activity or anything like that.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Romeo. How long has he been drooling like this, and not eating?

I am worried about the bad odor. He may have an infection, in his mouth, or that red mark might be an injury. Any chance of his chewing an electric cord?

Not that I am aware of. It’s been 3 days. The bad odor comes and goes. I’m not sure if it’s because of all the water he’s been drinking.

A bad odor from the mouth is usually from an infection in the mouth, or something stuck in the mouth (roof of the mouth, under the tongue, under the tonsils, etc.). Drinking a lot of water should not cause an odor.

All I see in his mouth is the red mark on the tip of his tongue.

That does not sound too serious, but there may be other marks in places you can't see. It is hard to look under the tonsils, under the tongue, behind the teeth, etc in an awake cat. If I could, I would examine him, check to see if he is dehydrated, and possibly give a mild sedative to get a good look in the mouth to find the source of the odor.

A cat that is barely eating for 3 days is very worrying to me. Cats can't go too long without eating; it can cause liver disease.