Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat began acting strange today. He is totally friendly…

Customer Question
Our cat began acting...

Our cat began acting strange today. He is totally friendly and fun and we played with him last night. When we woke up today, he was unsteady and afraid of us. He ran away from us and would not let us pet him. He is still eating but we have to put down the food and leave the room. His pupils are dilated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is one year old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Onxy?

One

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Onxy?

He jumps up on the bench in the mud room to greet us every night. Now he won't go near it. It is strange but it is like he is in a daze.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Onyx is having some strange behavior. Is there any possibility he could have ingested something toxic? Do you have any plants in your house?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
We have no plants. I am worried that he did ingest something but I am struggling to figure out what.

Have you had any interactions with other animals outside of the house? I am wondering if he smells something strange on you.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I am hoping my $5.00 gets me more than ads to buy more instead of answering my questions. I am beginning to think this is nothing more than a scam.

Sorry, the system automatically offers phone calls. We can continuing talking here.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
We haven't been near any other animals. We went o bed at 10pm last night and he was fine. We woke up today and he was in this strange state.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
We took him to the vet this morning and they checked him for UTI, Virus and diabetes. All were negative. I though of the possibility of him ingesting something after the fact.

Was he acting the same way at the vet's?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
They said he is fine but he is not. He is a totally different pet than he was 24-hours ago. Could this be vestibular?

He is holding his head to one side? Does he seem off balance?

Also, do you know exactly which blood tests were done?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
He seems off balance. His head is not tilted.

There are some medical conditions that can cause weakness such as diabetes, but I do not expect anything like that is going on since he's a young cat, and especially if his blood work was normal.

Treatment for possible toxicity would involve activated charcoal and IV fluids at the hospital. I would call one and ask about those treatments.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 22 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian