Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

A lost outdoor cat chose my home to be its new home and runs…

Customer Question
A lost outdoor cat...

A lost outdoor cat chose my home to be its new home and runs into my house every chance it gets. On a couple of nights when the weather got down in the teens I let it stay inside. Now it thinks its the king and intimidates my 16 year old house pet by attacking my cat whoever it can run into the house when someone enters. My cat urinates in the bathroom other than its litter box in the laundry room. I moved the litter box to the bathroom and she deficates in the litter box but pees on pads I've started putting down. How do I get her over this and use the litter box again? I'm handicapped and don't have a way to

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is this new behavior?

Get her to the vet no one has responded to our ad found black cat with pink collar who is less than a year old. Please help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

I've washed her box and I purchased a new litter box

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She's used the litter box for 14 years with no problems and wants attention from anyone who comes to my house.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1 ) Have you taken the new cat to the vet to have him scanned for a microchip to ensure his owners aren't looking for him?

2) Is there an option to make an outdoor spot for the new cat vs. bringing him indoors?

3) Does your older cat return to using her box correctly when the new cat is not in your home?

4) When was the last time your senior cat had a veterinary evaluation, bloodwork and a urinalysis?

1. No
2. The cat stays at the neighbors until someone comes to my house (entering driveway)
3. Not yo urinate but to defecate yes
4. A couple of years
This has been 4 weeks. Can I give her a small dose of xanax to calm her down? I've changed to a new litter box. She has no symptoms that anything else is wrong.

First things first, let's discuss your senior girl. I would recommend that you have her evaluated by a vet and have diagnostics like bloodwork and urinalysis performed. At 14 years of age, it's common for ailments to develop such as liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, urinary tract infection, etc. which may cause a cat to avoid using their litter box to urinate. One of the more common causes of litter box avoidance for urination happens to be urinary tract infection, diabetes, kidney disease and stress. Logically, the male cat running indoors and attacking her is certainly stressful enough to cause her to avoid using her box full time. However, if she's not going back to using it when he's not in the house, you have reason enough to be looking for another cause.

Next, let's discuss the male cat. Since you've mentioned that he's a "lost outdoor cat", I feel it would be best to have him checked for a microchip. He obviously believes people are trustworthy which suggests he's been owned. Some outdoor cats accidentally slipped out (or were tossed out) and failed to make their way back home. It would be worthwhile to check for good measure. Moreover, with him being outdoors, he can transmit illnesses to your older cat that he's picked up along the way from fleas to intestinal parasites to conditions like feline leukemia and feline aids which may cause severe illness or death. If you are not certain of him not having these illnesses, I would not expose him to your older cat. If he must come inside, keep a large dog kennel or similar setup for him in a separate room so that the two of them do not interact. This should help decrease stress for your girl.

You've mentioned wanting to give her xanax to calm her down but I don't see anything in the history you've shared indicating that she's not calm. Can you clarify?

She cowers down and hisses when the other cat comes in or stands outside our storm door when the front door is open. Not using the litter box started when I let the black cat in go spend the night out of the call. I suspect the cat used Sassy's litter box which instigated this behavior

This is common behavior in a fearful cat. Removing the stimulus from the area (the male cat) is the ideal solution, not medicating her. Moreover, this is not a medication I would recommend using without having her organ values recently checked. If you must give xanax, here's the information on dosing: https://www.petcarerx.com/medication-guides/using-alprazolam-generic-xanax-for-dogs-and-cats/1372?page=all

If she is truly this stressed out by his presence, I would definitely recommend at least a urinalysis since UTIs are very commonly caused in cats by stress. You might also want to try a feliway diffuser (available at most pet stores) to help decrease her stress response, as well.

Checking in. How is your girl doing today?

.