Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I bought a cat from shelter back in 10/17 and he weighted 9…

Customer Question
i bought a cat from...
i bought a cat from shelter back in 10/17 and he weighted 9 lbs 5 oz and just in the last few days he has gotten very skinny.iwhen i go to touch his back he moves away from the pressure of my hand. so is there anything over the counter that i can give him for pain until i can get him in the vet in my town
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
ok
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
i am just wondering if i can give him any pain meds that are over the counter for now
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

I understand your recenty adopted kitty is losing weight rapidly. Poor guy. : ( He is very young and there are several possible causes of this including intestinal parasites, a pancreas disorder, or diabetes mellitus (causes weight loss, increased urination, drinking and hunger).

There are no safe over the counter pain medications out there for cats unfortunately. Please don't attempt to give your cat Harold any over the counter NSAIDs or these can have irreversible damage to his liver and kidneys. Cats are very sensitive to even most pet medicaitons and have to be treated very carefully when addressing their pain. You need to consult with your vet to get to the root of the problem instead of just trying to mask pain at this point.

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

Does he have loose stools?

Is he eating well?

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

I know you wish to do anything to help him, but giving him pain medication will do more harm than good for your kitty.

- Dr. H

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
i cant get him until next week is there any way you can prescribe him a mild apin reliver until he is seen
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
he has alwys had loose poop dirreha
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

I am so sorry but we are forbidden by law (the Veterinary Patient Client relationship act- VRCP) to prescribe your pet pain medication without doing a proper exam first. In fact, your vet will want to run some bloodwork analysis before prescribing any NSAIDs. And aspirin is definitely not a good choice here, there are safer medications to give cats. The go-to NSAID used in cats nowadays is Onsior. This has to be prescribed by a vet that has physically examined him. His problem may not be pain at all. He may need treatment for an underlying condition. The goal here is to make him comfortable yes, but how are coming to the conclusion that he is painful from being underweight? Most cats don't like it when you touch their back and surely if he has less muscle mass along his spine, then the sensation isn't pleasant for him. However, this is not enough cause to go and give him pain medication. We need to treat the underlying cause.

If he has loose stools he probably has an intestinal parasite. I would recommend starting with a dewormer, such as Pyrantel palmoate or Fenbendazole. You can purchase these at your local pet store or feed store. This is something you can do in the meantime until you can get him seen by your vet in a weeks time.

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

Loose stool is not normal. I would also recommend adding in 1-2 tsp of canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) into his food daily to add fiber and hopefully bulk up his stools. He is likely malnoursihed due to chronic loose stools that have gone untreated.

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

What are you feeding Harold?

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

I would recommend a high quality cat food as well. Here are my suggested brands:

Royal Canin, Hill's Science Diet, Evo, Eukanuba or California Natural by Natura (great for skin or intestinal issues). Iams is also an ok brand and they have a limited ingredient diet that may be beneficial to Harold, especially if he has an underlying GI condition (i.e. IBD).

I hope this helps!

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 29 days ago

I have to step away from my computer now and turn in for the night.

Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight concerning your pet Harold?

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 26 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harold. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet