Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He’s been not eating and vomiting what water he takes in…

Customer Question
He’s been not eating...

He’s been not eating and vomiting what water he takes in (along with bile) for about 48 hours. Also he’s lethargic

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He’s an indoor cat and never goes outside

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear your cat is not eating and is vomiting. How old is he?

He is 2.5 years
I actually have a regular vet. They are closed. I’m trying to figure out if it’s an emergency or not

In a young cat with those signs, I worry that he has eaten something that he shouldn't have. It could be that this is causing stomach upset, but a more serious concern is that he ingested something that is now causing an obstruction in his GI tract.

I don’t know what he could have eaten

Does he have access to any sort of string? Fishing line? Any plants that might be toxic?

I just remembered we caught him licking a package I had just taken raw chicken out of . We took it away as soon as we noticed. Could it be food poisoning?
Thread! I found him playing with a bobbin from my sewing machine

Uh oh. Time to get him to the ER.

He needs an abdominal x-ray.

We don’t have one nearby
I did find the thread though and threw it out
Not sure if he ingested it

Okay, then he needs to go to the regular vet first thing in the morning for the x-ray. He might have chewed some of the thread even though you found some of it.

Can I send a picture?

Sure

Not sure if the pics came through

I don't see any string in that picture. Sometimes it gets caught under the base of their tongue, but just because you don't see that, it does not mean that he does not have string stuck somewhere lower down in his intestines.

With an obstruction, gut contents have nowhere to go but up through the mouth as vomit and it worries me that he's not even able to keep water down.

They have a bad habit of chewing everything!
No I just sent a pic of the cat

Very cute cat!

I will get him into the vet in the AM. Should I tell them anything specific?

Yes, tell them you think he might have eaten some string and he's unable to keep anything down.

Ok got it! Thanks. I just know that the closest ER is 2 hours from here..so I was trying to gauge the urgency

I think he will be okay overnight, but don't wait any longer.

If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking 5 stars at the top of your screen. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

How long can a cat go with this? 12 hours is when the vet opens

Well, it does worry me that it's been going on for 48 hours. If he does have an obstruction, the longer that you wait to get it out, the higher the risk that some of the intestinal tissue dies. You could wait until the morning, but it would be best for him to get to the ER sooner.

Ok thank you!

You're welcome! I hope he's okay!

I think I’m going there take him to the ER
He’s really trying to vomit and there’s nothing there. He’s just miserable

Hi, how is he doing today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel