Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

What can I do for kittens who haven’t pooped in a day?

Customer Question
Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/29/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

I'm sorry your kitten is having some issues, does she seem to be trying to poop and nothing happening? Or just haven't seen anything in a day?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I haven’t seen anything today except for a tiny one.

How is her appetite? What has she normally been eating?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
It’s been good today. She eats canned kitten food

Ok good. How is she acting otherwise, any change in her energy or seem like her usual self?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She’s been playful

That is another good sign :)

I have a few potential suggestions, have you given her any medication or are you seeing anything that looks irritated on her bottom?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She recently finished a round of clavamox two days ago but nothing in the last day

Since she has passed a little bit of poop today, and is acting like her usual self and eating, I don't think it is an emergency that she has to be seen tonight. Some cats can get a little constipated with an antibiotic, some can get diarrhea, it could be one off day.

You could try taking a cotton ball and soaking it in warm water and gently massaging right under her tail over her anus, sometimes that will get things moving and is the simplest to try.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you. Should i continue to put food out for her?

Yes food is fine and eating generally stimulates intestinal muscle contractions to get things moving :)

The other option, though potentially a little trickier with a wiggly kitten and may be easier if you have an option of a helper to hold her, is to gently insert the tip of a lubricated thermometer (something like vaseline would work) just a little ways into her anus as that often will have them poop within a few minutes.

I think it would be ok to watch her for tonight, maybe set her in the litter box a few times as standing on the litter and that feel under their feet sometimes helps to give them the signal to 'go'.

If nothing by tomorrow morning, it would be best to check in with your regular vet - not common but some kittens can get constipated where they need some extra help to go, like an enema, but hopefully wouldn't come to that especially with her not seeming distressed.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you!

You're very welcome, if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask-

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family - this is included in your question fee. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not response time or any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets. Bonuses are never expected but always much appreciated!

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 23 days ago

How is Plum doing today? Did the poop fairy visit?

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian