Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My dog has Cushing’s disease and diabetes he seem to be

My dog has Cushing’s...

My dog has Cushing’s disease and diabetes he seem to be managing OK with just insulin daily but yesterday vomited everything he ate and now today won’t eat and vomited all he drinks he has lost weight very rapidly despite eating well up until today seems very listless I understand he has a lot going on but I’m trying to figure out how to keep him comfortable or maybe get through this rough spot if possible.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He is a 10-year-old Docksin mix was a rescue so we’re not sure history he was losing weight very rapidly on the medicine for Cushing’s so we made the decision with the vet to try to stabilize the diabetes so in the mornings he’s pretty good eats and gets insulin then from about 7 PM till 7 AM he peas very pale P may be about 5 to 7 diapers for a night. His activity level has actually been pretty good until today it’s seem to tank I tried to get a little bit of peanut butter on his gums but he threw up that and the water as well
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Never had been told his teeth bad but looks abnormal
3/29/2018
Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. I'm Dr Mick. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I'll be right back to assist you.

Your little dog is very cute! I'm sorry to hear he's not feeling well. Dogs that have both Cushing's disease and diabetes can be difficult to manage. It is important to not give him insulin if he is not eating, otherwise his blood sugar could get too low. It would be a good idea to get some Karo syrup or maple syrup, and rub it on his gums to make sure he does not become hypoglycemic. It is also very common for daschunds to have dental disease. In the picture it looks like he has an infection around that tooth and the gum has started to recede. Sometimes bacteria from the mouth can be absorbed into the blood stream and cause infection. If he tolerates the karo syrup, I would then try to feed him some boiled chicken and rice to get some nutrients into him until he can see his regular veterinarian.

I'm sorry, I'm not set up for phone calls. If you'd like I can send the request to another veterinarian who may be able to speak with you directly.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
but you’re seeing with his teeth must’ve happened pretty quickly as we didn’t notice it last time he was at the vet which is odd I think I have some sweetener I have to see what has actual sugar in it to check

Gum disease can progress very quickly, especially in his breed. Honey can be used, or you can dissolve white sugar in water to create a thin paste to rub on his gums. Make sure you do not use an artificial sweetner. Those will not help with his blood sugar levels. And Xylitol is very toxic to dogs.

Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started
Dr Mick
Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Cat Veterinarian