Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 13 yr old Persian diagnosed with Idiopathic

I have a 13...

I have a 13 yr old Persian diagnosed with Idiopathic Cystitis Bladder. She was unable to go to the bathroom without crying or pain so we ended up at a pet ER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. Her badder wasn’t obstructed and was empty so she was given 0.3 mg of Buprenorphine and 80mg oh Cefovecin. Since then we’ve been to our reg vet who had suggested a change in her food. It’s a script she’s been on for a while: Royal Canin Urinary SO Dry and Can. She changed it to Royal Canin Hydrolized Protein but it only comes in a dry formula and anything I have read says cats with this disorder need canned food and more water not less. Please we need help on new food suggestions!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Persian's name and age?

Khari shes 13 otherwise healthily and only indoor

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Persian?

She’s a good eater and will eat canned food and dry

3/28/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi there!

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

We need to take a step back for a second :)

I presume they did a urinalysis- do you have the results?

And did they do a bladder ultrasound? Is this the first time with this problem?

And the Special diet- is that for food allergies (the Hydrolyzed protein one)

Thanks!

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
They didn’t do urninalysia since they had already started an antibiotic and I asked for an ultrasound they blew me off at the reg vet And I still can figure out why we were given this new food the old food is because she has had problems in the past 5 years ago
Phone call session started
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian