Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I'd prefer a Vet familiar with feline asthma if possible. My…

I'd prefer a Vet familiar...
I'd prefer a Vet familiar with feline asthma if possible. My cat Arnold has asthma and is on oral prednisone which only helps maybe 50% and wondering if this is allergy related. We are getting some benydrl pills that are chicken flavored from the Vet after work tomorrow for our cat Soks that has alot of sneezing issues. I was wondering if there are any known interactions between oral prednisone and benydrl? I wss thinking of trying the benydrl on Arnold as well. I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions on this.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Arnold is having allergies and asthma. There is no danger in giving prednisolone and Benadryl at the same time. Have you asked your vet about inhalers for him?

He also has an inhaler yes. Been having to gradually use it more frequently and the oral prednisone appears to be becoming less effective. This is what is making me wonder if this is allergy related. I take him to an internal medicine specialist the 20th of next month to hopefully get better answers and treatment.

I recommend that he have a steroid inhaler as well as a rescue one (albuterol). Yes, the asthma could be caused by allergies so I think your plan of trying Benadryl makes sense. He can have one tablet of 25 mg every 12 hours.

If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking 5 stars at the top of your screen. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

They're adorable!

Hi Georgina,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Arnold. How is everything going?
Dr. Rachel
He had a little asthma attack this morning and used the inhaler. He always does better the rest of the day after the inhaler. I tried putting that benydrl pill called Vetadryl in a treat but he gagged and spit it up. I tried the next day crushing it and mixing it in his wet food but took a couple bites and gagged and spit up on his wet food and wouldn't eat anymore of it. So that was a fail. He was on predlisone instead of prednisone for about a month but it didn't help any better so back to the prednisone.
I've been trying this bronchial wellness herbal stuff which I think might be helping some.