Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat started sneezing about five or six days ago. The

Customer Question
My cat started sneezing...

My cat started sneezing about five or six days ago. The sneezing was extremely vicious, multiple sneezes. He stopped sneezing yesterday evening and my second cat is now sneezing. She began sneezing yesterday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

He stopped sneezing yesterday evening and my second cat is now sneezing. She began sneezing yesterday. His name is Lolo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lolo?

No, he’s a perfectly healthy cat has been neutered. Goes outside occasionally but is an inside cat. A couple of weeks ago we had a stray that was fighting with him and wouldn’t leave him alone when he went outside.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/28/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Lolo has been sneezing. Since your other cat is now also sneezing, I suspect that Lolo acquired an upper respiratory virus that he then passed on to your other cat. If it is a respiratory virus, it just needs to clear from their system, just like a cold that people can get. However, respiratory viruses can lead to secondary bacterial infections that cause yellow/green nasal and ocular discharge, congestion, heavy breathing, lethargy, and decreased appetite. If you these signs in your cats, you will need to get them in to the vet for some antibiotics.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
if the nasal discharge does not change color, you’re saying that this will pass as that cold would pass and human? I was watching to be sure there was nothing on usual, other than the sneezing, and the fluid was all clear

Correct. If the only signs are sneezing and clear discharge, that indicates a virus that will resolve on its own. Another possibility is that Lolo could be having allergies, but I think this is less likely because your other cat is having the same signs, so I suspected a virus. You could treat with a tablet of 25 mg Benadryl and see if it helps with the sneezing. If it does, the sneezing and clear discharge are probably due to allergies. It's also possible that both things - virus and allergies - are going on at the same time.

If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking 5 stars at the top of your screen. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you

You're welcome. I hope they get well soon.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian