Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My Cat has a Rodent Ulcer and has been given 2 Depo shots…

Customer Question
My Cat has a...

My Cat has a Rodent Ulcer and has been given 2 Depo shots and the last one along with an antibiotic. Since then the vet seems to believe she may have become a diabetic with this last time she had sugar in her urine. Up until then her Blood Glucose has been over 300 but no sugar in her urine, with the last check of it was 500 and she had sugar in her urine.. He wants to wait another week being it has been 2 weeks to recheck her sugar. My concern is How long does it usually take for her blood sugar to come down to more normal after the last shot. I have been checking her sugar at home and have been getting readings over 300 2 hours after eating and over 400 first thing in the mornings. Really concerned over this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry your cat has that. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She does have Hyperthyroidism and is on oral medication for it. Otherwise she is a healthy cat

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/28/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that your cat has developed a high blood glucose and, as a result, glucose in the urine. At this point I do consider her to be a diabetic, HOWEVER, her diabetes can be reversed with early treatment, including starting insulin and changing to a canned food diet. I'm glad to hear you are checking her blood glucose at home, as that is very important in being able to get good control of diabetes. Hopefully with this early intervention, she will go into remission from her diabetes. Needless to say, she should not have any more Depo injections to treat her rodent ulcer. Oral prednisolone would be a better option, since it can be stopped if her blood glucose goes up, again. The problem with the Depo injection is that it lasts in their system for 2 weeks, and there is nothing you can do about it once the injection is given. So I recommend starting insulin therapy and changing to an all canned diet right away.