Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 10 yr.-old cat rarely meows. He has always slept in the…

My 10 yr.-old cat...

My 10 yr.-old cat rarely meows. He has always slept in the same 3 or 4 places.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Now he meows constantly. Is figity. Jumps onto places he has never looked at before. i.e. he jumps on top of the refrigerator and knocks everything off. He tries to get on the bathroom windowsill. I have always had seashells there - he has knocked them all off. Has never tried getting into blinds on the windows - until now. He is sleeping on an endtable piled with books - it's all unlevel so he is knocking books off. He wants to sleep on the dining room table instead of the usual chair cushion. He has always slept with us but hasn't for weeks. He now sleeps on paper or magazines that are on the kitchen bar area. He will be sound asleep and sudden jolt and bolt. We thought it was fleas biting him so got over the counter flea drops (Hartz Ultraguard). That hasn't helped so went to the vet & got Revolution. Could something else be the matter?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

His eating habits have not changed.

3/28/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Your cat's hyperactivity sounds very suspicious for a condition that older cats can develop called hyperthyroidism. This occurs when a small nodule develops on one or both thyroid glands and produces too much thyroid hormone, the result of which is an extremely fast metabolism. One of the signs of the condition is vocalizing. Other signs of hyperthyroidism are increased thirst and urination, fast growing nails, and weight loss. I recommend getting him to the vet for some lab work, especially to check his thyroid level. The treatment for hyperthyroidism is a tablet given twice daily. Since he is an older cat at risk for other conditions such as diabetes, liver and kidney disease, among others, I recommend having more lab work done in addition to a thyroid check, including a CBC, chemistry profile, and urinalysis. If the lab tests come back normal, it is possible that your cat might be having some cognitive dysfunction, which is somewhat like Alzheimer's disease in people. There is a medication that can be used to treat cognitive dysfunction, and the other conditions I mentioned are also treatable if caught early enough.

I hope my answer has been helpful. If so, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you for your opinion and suggestions.

You're very welcome. Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel