Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is walking around the house constantly squatting like he…

He is walking around...

He is walking around the house constantly squatting like he needs and gets extremely agitated if you go near him

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat have a fall?

No, not that I know of, I think he may be having trouble urinating after awhile of squatting he starts licking around his genitals.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Romeo, unsure of his age, I have had him for about 3 years and they guessed he was 2 or 3 when we got him

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Romeo?

Until this morning when I got home from work he hadnt been squatting like this. Previously he did have stomach issues that caused extreme diarrhea, but has not exhibited any symptoms since a couple months after I got him

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

How long has he been doing this?

Any blood in the urine?

Does he pee when he is squatting?

Paul

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
He just started this morning. There is no blood in urine that I have noticed. When he is squatting sometimes there are little bits of urine but it's just little drops.

Thanks

This is one instance where we need to have him examined

Male cats, as you likely know, are prone to blockage

We need to have his urine checked for crystals and matrix/debris as well as inflammation

If there are a lot of crystals in the urine then they might have to flush out his bladder

This is a very uncomfortable condition for them trying to pee all the time

When you take him in they should take a urine sample from his bladder and ultrasound the bladder to assess for stones etc etc

Are you able to take him in?

Paul

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I should be able to, it just depends on how much they are going to charge, I don't get paid for another couple days and just spent my savings on another emergency. =/

Okay

Having exam and urine checked should not be bad at all

Start with that and then we can revise the plan

There are meds they can prescribe that will make it easier for him to pee also :)

Paul

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you so much for your insight, it's greatly appreciated. I'll start getting things ready to take him in.

Good stuff

I will look for your update

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Well, Romeo has been taking the meds and doesn't seem to be in pain now. He had lots of crystals and a UTI. But now since starting the meds, really since yesterday, he has stopped eating and drinking, just wants to sleep.
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian