Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

A male pet mouse.sustained injuries on his, right side,

A male pet mouse.sustained...

A male pet mouse.sustained injuries on his, right side, backside, tail and tail area. Most serious wound is on his backside, it was crusted with blood and the fur looks like it was bitten off in that area. Injury caused by another male mouse he's been with for a few months without incident, but when realizing they were sleeping separate instead of together a susual I checked and noticed the injuries on one of them. The other had no visible injuries. I removed the other mouse from the cage. I tried cleaning the wounds with hydrogen peroxide, but placing the mouse back in the cage, noticed that he is slowly circling in the spot he is sitting, it looks like he's chewing something every now and then even though there is nothing in his mouth, his breathing looks a tiny bit labored, and there is what i would describe as a little cough, but rarely. I want to help. I have neosporin and backtracking as well, but haven't used it. Only the hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball dabbing on the wounded areas. Is there anything I can do myself to help heal him, or ease any pain? Thanks in adavance.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the mouse. What is the mouse's name and age?

Meenie, about a year and a half.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the mouse's name?

Meenie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meenie?

He's small and gray.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
My pet is NOT a cat. Why does this list that a CAT veterinarian is working on my question??
3/28/2018
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Hello. My pet is a mouse not a cat.

I understand Meenie is a mouse and not a cat. You mentioned Meenie seems to be circling in the spot he is sat. Is he able to use all his legs? Aany signs of injuries to his legs?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
He is able to use all his legs, climb and run, there are some bite's on his back right keg but not that severe. The worst injury is the wound on his backside. The very end of his tail seems to be getting darker, skinnier and harder, possibly necrotic and due to the bites on his tail.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
He has now stopped circling and is just curled up, eyes open, breathing better, but I'm still worried and want to do whatever I can to keep any infection from getting worse.

Tail tip injuries in mice often go this way. The blood supply to the extremities of the tail is very fine and these areas can often slough off. If the area of his tail tip is not swollen or apparently painful, with no discharge, we need to let the healing take its course here. Does he have and discharge from his wounds? How long ago since you first noticed them?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I noticed all of this yesterday afternoon when feeding and noticed they were on separate sides of the cage.will his tail tip come off? Will he chew it off? Can it infect the rest of him? The large wound was crusted with blood, still a bit raw when I dabbed the hydrogen peroxide as some blood came off it. In the cage I could see some of the paper bedding stained in blood, so it must have been bloody. It looks like the skin may have been bitten off or it could just be serious clusterm of bites. I cant telk as its crusted over and red, i can tell that the fur is not there, and he doesn't want me going near it. It's hard to tell if there is discharge, the small bites are under his gray fur, the ones on his tail don't seem to have discharge, the big one is red with the blood. Not sure if there is discharge but dI don't see any puss.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
He is moving around. And he is alert.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things so far. Keeping him separated, keeping him cosy and warm and bathing the wounds twice daily are the best things to do. Dilute peroxide is fine, an alternative would be luke warm salt water (approx 1 tablespoon of salt to 1 pint of water). The tail tip will likely come off, however if it is clean and healing well, with no swelling or discharge, bathing the tail tip as you are his other wounds should help prevent any significant infection. If it is neosporin ointment you have, applying this sparingly to the wounds after you have bathed them can provide an effective antibiotic treatment.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I have neosporin and bacitracin. Which is best? What is dilute peroxide? Should I add water to the hydrogen peroxide? Should I change the cage with all new bedding or leave it as is? Should I add anything to the water, like pedialite? Feed him anything special that might add extra umph to his healing? I want to do whatever I can to make him comfortable and heal well. Sadly I cannot keep the other mouse after this incident. Meenie has been with me longer and they seemed to be getting on well for a while until now. But this shows me he is far too agreesive for Meenie.

Dilute peroxide would be adding water to the hydrogen peroxide. a 50:50 mix of peroxide with water would be a good mixture. Ensuring his bedding is clean will help prevent further infection as much as possible. Pedialyte in his water is likely to have very little benefit. Providing fresh food and water should give him the best nutrition possible. I would use the neosporin only, I would avoid giving Bacitracin, just stick to the neosporin ointment and I think you will be providing him with the best care you can.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Okay thank you.

You are very welcome. Hopefully Meenie is feeling much better very soon!

I hope you have found this advice helpful. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

It would be very much appreciated if you could click the stars to rate my answer, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and expertise helping here.

Many Thanks and I hope you have a great day.

Richard.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling