Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Fur has been falling out on his back. It started at the base…

Fur has been falling...

Fur has been falling out on his back. It started at the base of his tail and had spread almost halfway up his back. The skin there feels hot. I do not think he's pulling it out. Help!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

I just typed it in. Above.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name and age?

Clouseau. He's around ten years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He has been urinating on the carpet.

3/28/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Clouseau is losing hair off the back starting at the base of the tail. He is also urinating on the carpet. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The loss of hair has been going on for months. He isn't totally bald in this huge patch. There is a thin layer of fur.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I can't talk right now. The fee is fine.

The reasons for hair loss are largely determined by the location on the body. For instance, hair loss by the tail base is nearly always associated with fleas. There may not be a flea on the body, although they are very hard to observe at times, but a single flea bite can stimulate an allergic reaction that creates inflammation, heat, and redness. This will be the number 1 differential of the underlying cause. Once this is ruled out then environmental allergies and fungal organisms will be next on the list of differentials.

Therefore, the first thing to do is treat for fleas even if you do not see them on the body. A high quality flea prevention should be given and the living area should be treated. Treating the living area involves very thorough vacuuming anywhere there is a rug or carpet. That includes underneath furniture and between cushions. The bedding should be washed as well. Hardwood flooring or linoleum do not require treatment. If you have any other cats or dogs then they should be treated as well.

Giving Clouseau a bath may also help and application of an itch relief gel or spray for cats can relieve the redness and inflammation.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
OK, we have hardwood and tile floors where the cats hang out. Our vet treated him with a three-month flea treatment. He's a huge and very cranky cat, so I'm afraid a bath is out. But I will follow your other suggestions. Thank you very much! I wiil be happy to pay the additional fee.

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian