Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He has a very stinky bottom. So bad it makes your clothes…

Customer Question
He has a very...

He has a very stinky bottom. So bad it makes your clothes and skin smell. Could it be his gland

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Dito (dee toe), he's about 1.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Dito

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He doesn't seem to be ill and seems happy otherwise.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/27/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Dito has a bad smell coming from the rectum. The smell of an anal gland is unique and has more of a fishy smell. Do you feel that is what you are smelling? Also, does Dito have a history of soft stool or diarrhea?

I have not noticed diarrhea. his bottom smells like a bottom that has not been bathed in a while. not really fishy.

Thank you for that information. Just so I understand correctly. The bottom is not soiled in feces, correct?

no not at all

The smell is likely coming from the anal sacs. A fecal incontinence should leave a residue of feces that you can observe on the fur. If that is not there then the smell is not likely from feces. If there is a wound in the area then a smell could be from an abscess - these can smell like feces as well. However, if no wound then the issue is almost always anal sac fluid.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. How is Dito doing?