Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I want to shave my cat, and I have done it before but she…

Customer Question
I want to shave...

I want to shave my cat, and I have done it before but she could really use a sedative. Any suggestions on what I can give her? I am an old 4H/FFA kid and we used to sedate our own animals without any problem but I have never sedated a cat. I am an ICU RN so I'm used to taking care of people as well as all kinds of animals.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

Nothing, she just sheds terribly and I like to shave her in the spring.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?

Mia bella and she is 8 yrs old and weighs 25lbs. She is a big girl, the vet laughed and me and said

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mia?

Nothing is wrong with her she just sheds real bad. I just like to shave her to keep the hair from getting all over. Her name is ***** ***** she is 8 years old, weighs 25lbs. The vet laughed and said she is big boned but really just overweight.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Cat Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

The two things that come to mind are Gabapentin and Feliway

Feliway is not a sedative but a pheromone that really relaxes cats

Paul

Gabapentin is for nerve pain like diabetic neuropathy...do you use the two together? Do I need a Rx?
No thanks

Gabapentin works very well as a sedative for cats

But yes it needs a prescription

Paul