Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat 10 months old normal until 3 days ago. Then, cried out 3…

Cat 10 months old...

Cat 10 months old normal until 3 days ago. Then, cried out 3 times and had some balance issues. Recovered, walking well, eating very well, but lethargic compared to a week ago and not jumping well or running like before. Had medical exam several months back and all was good.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Cat. What is the Cat's name?

Gina

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gina?

Weights around 11.5, looks very healthy but this sudden issue.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
This is a one time charge. Not interested in a monthly plan or recurring charges. Do not agree to them. We have a vet. Interested in what you think for this one occasion.
3/27/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi!

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I can talk to you by phone now

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Call me now.

Hi

Did you call me?

Standing by

Paul

Thanks for chatting- good luck!

Paul

Dr.Just came back from the vet as we discussed. She did a full exam. Everything normal with heart, no fever, and no neurological issues. Problem with cat is kneecaps on both legs dislocated. She popped them back into place but said cat needs to lose 2 pounds (she is overweight for her size--weighs 11.35 pounds) and given that she is showing clinical symptoms, recommends surgery to deepen the grooves around the kneecaps to keep them in place.Do you know anything about luxating patellas in cats and the success of this kind of surgery? The vet recommended it and said the recovery period is relatively short and the success rate is very high. Kind of a no brainer. Do you concur?

Well this is GREAT news!

Yes they do very well with the surgery

I repaired quite a few of these

Do one knee at a time but fast recovery

Paul

Thanks for your response. Appreciate it. Any downside to doing both knee caps together so cat doesn't have to go through process twice?

Welcome :)

Nope you have to do one leg at a time

Otherwise kitty cant walk

Paul

Thanks. A few more questions if you can about the surgery:(1) Approximately how far apart to do the two surgeries (2 weeks??)
(2) After surgery, will the cat be able to run and jump like before the problem occurred (was running and jumping like crazy just a week ago)? Right now, cat is forced to be quite sedentary. This is not acceptable to me since she is only 10 months old.
(3) How long in days and/or weeks approximately does it take for cat to make a full recovery and be back at full function?
(4) How long is the actual surgery and the approximate cost to do both knees?That's it for now. Thanks for doing an excellent job.

I would separate them by at least a month or two

Yes full activity post-op once healed

I would say 2-3 weeks for full recovery

About an hour for surgery

Paul

Terrific and thanks much.

Welcome

Have now learned from orthopedic surgeon here that the recovery period is 6-8 weeks and the cat needs to be in a crate or confined area during that entire period to avoid running and jumping which could possibly ruin the surgery. This protocol sounds very restrictive. Do you concur with this?Sounds like a very difficult surgery if this is indeed true. You had indicated earlier only 2-3 weeks for full recovery. Which timeframe is correct and does the cat need to be kept in an enclosed cage or crate for 6 weeks after surgery??

I think they are being overly cautious

2-3 weeks is very reasonable :)

confinement in a crate or cage during that timeframe to avoid jumping and running?