Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat had a drop belly since I found her. she never showed…

Customer Question
My cat had a...

My cat had a drop belly since I found her. she never showed any problems but 10years now, she is loosing weight and goes to the bathroom constantly. She wants to eat all the time now and her belly has gone away but, now she doesn't seem to control her urination. She really looks thin.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Samantha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Samantha?

I found her living in the woods. Family had moved and left her alone. She stayed close to the house but no one was taking care of her.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/27/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 4 months ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 4 months ago

I understand you have concerns about your pet Samantha and her symptoms of eating constantly, urinating a lot, and losing weight. I will tell you that all of these symptoms together are highly suggestive that Samantha is suffering from a thyroid problem. Hyperthyroidism is very common in cats over the age of 7-8 years of age and causes increased urination, drinking, eating and progressive weight loss. Excessive hormones circulating in the body cause pets metabolism to increase, and in turn caues them to lose a ton of weight. Hyperthyroidism also causes a gallop murmur in most situations, which your veterinarian can detect during the physical exam.

I would highly recommend getting Samantha examined by your local vet and have a thyroid test done. This is a relatively affordable test in most situations, averaging about $35-$40 and can be ran in house. If she does have a hyperactive thyroid, then medication can be started immediately to get her regulated again and in turn resolve all of her unwanted symptoms. The last thing to improve with hyperthyroid cats is their weight, which can take several months for them to put back on.

Here is a website link with more information on hyperthyroidism. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=516

Other less likely causes of her symptoms are: Diabetes Mellitus or a severe bladder infection.

I hope this helps !

- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 4 months ago

Did you still need assistance with your pet Samantha today?