Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is 14 yrs old, has always been extremely concerned about…

She is 14 yrs old...
She is 14 yrs old, has always been extremely concerned about her litter box and never urinated or defilcated ellsewhere--now she only eats dry cat treats will not eat anything else, does not drink from her bowel, must have running water, is moody, pet and next time she may growl or scratch you. This is a total change,she always cuddled on my chest and was friendly--is this old age setting in-some of her fur is coming off her lower legs. This has occurred in the past 3-4 months. thank you. *****: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: no that's about it except we miss our old Twosie-not to thrilled with new one.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Poor girl. I can understand how the suddent change in your pets behavior can put a divide in you'lls relationship. It sounds like she is stressed, especially since she is losing hair around her lower legs and it appears to be hair thinning due to her excesively licking her haircoat.

Any recent moves? New additions to the family? Or changes in your work schedule where you are spending more time away from home?

- Dr. H

No Dr. nothing has changed, same other cat who came to us oer a year ago, never got along and they still keep their distance-different feeding areas. The other is a spayed male about 2 1/2 years old. This just came about suddenly, she sleeps a lot and is not as energetic as she was--could it be old age?
At this time I am not available to call, but the computer is ok. Thank you.

Ok. That is an automated request so just ignore it, thats fine. : )

Yes this could be age related if nothing has changed that you can think of. There are things you are do to help if it is age related change. Cats can get dementia, just like in people! This can cause a change in behavior and mood. However, I would first recommend at the very least getting some baseline bloodwork done just to rule out any underlying illness. Cats are masters at hiding disease, so sometimes the first thing that changes is their behavior and activity level.

Some age related foods that can help are prescription diets such as Hill's B/D, which supports brain health. Another thing you can do is medical intervention. Fluoxetine is a behavior adjustment medicine that works very well in cats! Ask you vet about it if interested.

- Dr. H

Also I would be conscious of any arthritis that she may be experiencing at her age. This is very hard to detect in cats. But going with a joint supplement first may be something you want to try.

You can purchase Cosequin joint supplements at your local pet store. I would start here if you want a more conservative approach first before your vet visit.

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet

Here is a website link that also talks about Senior cats, some health concerns that may pop up, and also the senile cat disorder that we briefly touched on. I hope this helps and best of luck moving forward with Twosie!

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2808

- Dr. H

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet