Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Looks like my cat has some type of worm. I see it on the…

Looks like my cat...

Looks like my cat has some type of worm. I see it on the anus, but not in his stool. They are white. What to do. I have tried a over the counter de-wormer.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your cat's name and age?

Dallas is his name. He is 8 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dallas?

I think that is it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Do they look like rice or spaghetti?

2- What is the name of the dewormer you have tried?

they do. I have used a de-wormer purchased through Walmart. I can't think of the brand right now. It's a white bottle with blue and orange label.
ProSense.

Can you tell me the name of the active ingredient (see label)?

no. It's at home. I am at work.
do you know of anything else that I can give him?

One last question:

1- They are look like spaghetti or short like rice?

short rice.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you

Friend, it does sound like what you are seeing are tapeworms. You can buy a dewormer with the active ingredient Praziquantel, this works very well against tapeworms. Petsmart has a dewormer called Drontal which has 2 ingredients Praziquantel and Pyrantel; so it also treats against other parasites like Roundworms. Give it at label dose. Follow the link below so you can see it.

https://www.petsmart.com/cat/pharmacy/rx-medication/drontal-dewormer-tablet-for-cats-5274556.html?utm_id=500%7Cpg105648%7C363421518238&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyIHYmOGM2gIVRp7ACh1OIw2NEAQYAyABEgJeevD_BwE&lsft=utm_source%3Agoogle%2Cutm_term%3A5274556%2Cutm_medium%3Acpc%2Cutm_content%3AGSC%20-%20High%20-%20Pharmacy%20%7C%20Cat%2Cutm_campaign%3AGSC%20-%20High%20-%20Pharmacy&utm_medium=cpc

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Thank you so much!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter