Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 10year old female has an enlarged heart and liver

Hi my 10year old...

Hi my 10year old female has an enlarged heart and liver according to recent xray last week.....have and echo of her heart and an ultrasound scheduled next week.....shes being doing great but today she threw up alot probably from last night.....i did add some fancy feast gravy to her food and maybe it was too rich...she is pretty letharic and not eating or drinking...her last bloodwork 5 weeks ago was good though vet said she a very slight elevation in liver enzymes i guess is there anything i could get to help settle her ston\mah issues

3/27/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

W​hen you say she is "not eating and drinking" do you mean at all? If that is the case she needs to see the vet today if it has been going on for more than 24 hours. The vet can give her fluids under her skin for hydration and teach you how to give the fluids at home. An appetite stimulant can be prescribed. In terms of over the counter medication, you could try 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid Ac tablet every 12 hours. That is an over the counter stomach acid reducer. You can pop the tablet down her throat. You can also crush the piece of tablet, mix it with water, and give it with a syringe or eye dropper. See if she will eat something bland like plain cooked chicken or human turkey baby food that comes in the little jars. Warm it up to make it more fragrant. You can rub honey, or karo syrup, on her gums every few hours to help keep her blood sugar up. Children's pedialyte drink may be given with a syringe or eye dropper to help with hydration. If her gums feel fry she is probably dehydrate. In terms of her liver and heart that is going to be something you will need to follow up with your vet. Did all of that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions? When you are all set, please rate my answer so I know how I did and so the website knows I have responded to your question. Many Thanks and I hope she feels better and the echo is good news.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Thanks she did eat a little more active I'll get her to the vet