Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My ragdoll’s eyes don’t appear to be focussing very well,

My ragdoll’s eyes don’t...

My ragdoll’s eyes don’t appear to be focussing very well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

She’s otherwise healthy and only 13 months old. I’ve been noticing it when we play with feathers and the like She often misses them by some distance whereas my other ragdoll has laser focus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?

Tilly

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tilly?

I’m looking to take her this weekend rather than waiting for her next vaccination. She seems more startled by noises and I wonder if this is related.

3/27/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do the eyes appear normal on examination?

Has your vet evaluated them or referred you to an ophthalmologist since the onset of her missing the feathers when playing?

I’ve only just noticed the issue. I’ve not taken her to the vet yet.

Do the eyes appear normal on examination? Can you share pictures of what you're seeing, if not?

Hi - I've attached a pic of Tilly when she wakes up. Over the past month, it has taken a little while for her to open one eye. There is no discharge, discoloration of the eye and her pupils are dilating like they should when she plays. Once she is up and about, both eyes are open normally. There seems to be an inconsistent focus issue. For example, she might not see a feather in front of her face, but will see one flying through the air. Perhaps the inconsistency is what troubles me the most because it might make diagnosis more difficult if there is an issue.

Does she rub the eye at all?

Is there any associated swelling?

Once both eyes are open normally, does she still seem to have issues seeing?

There's no abnormal rubbing of the eye (only touches her face when she is cleaning herself), swelling or anything else. Just the normal eye boogers.

I do think it would be wise to have the eyes evaluated since this does seem to be an intermittent issue. It's not altogether uncommon for animals losing visions to "lose track" of something right in front of them but to be able to detect motion. This might explain why her chasing a feather is hit-or-miss as far as success goes. More than just checking the external structures, your vet will want to check the internal structures. They may also wish to run diagnostics like bloodwork. I do want to mention that ragdolls are prone to heart disease which can cause high blood pressure and secondary retinal detachment. https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/heart-disease-cardiomyopathy-in-cats If your vet does believe that high blood pressure is to blame or diagnoses retinal detachment, I would work backward and establish if heart disease is also a concern through referral to a cardiologist. If you need a recommendation, I would suggest searching here: http://www.cavalierhealth.org/Cardiologists.htm#AUSTRALIA A referral to a veterinary ophthalmologist may also be useful in establishing the cause (if you need help finding a location, even just to have on hand, I'll need your specific location to help further). If this has been a long-standing issue and does not appear to be worsening, Tilly could likely stand to see your vet this coming weekend, as planned. If it worsens at all this week, though, I would go sooner. I do believe that your concern about her being startled by noises could be related to loss of vision as she'll be less likely to predict sound if she cannot see what is going on around her.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

That's very helpful. She has a great vet in Enfield (Sydney) that I take her to so will proceed with the visit to get her checked out this weekend. Its not a situation which is worsening, however, I don't want to let any potential health issues go by the wayside. She's such a friendly and good natured little soul.
I appreciate your help - thank you and have a good night.

Certainly. If there are any additional questions I can answer once the examination takes place, please don't hesitate to reach out. Please rate before signing off today so that I am compensated for assisting you. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I've left a rating - thanks once again for your time.

Thanks so much! You're very welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy