Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a sore between her shoulder blades. Missy and…

My cat has a...

My cat has a sore between her shoulder blades

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?

Missy and she's about 6 months i think. Was a TNR that I kept.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Missy?

Not that i can think of. very friendly and normal activity level

3/27/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. Thank you for the pic. I have a question. Does the sore seem moist or dry?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will check. My first thought is dry because I thought I was petting over a scab.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Seems dry
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Taking her to a vet office tomorrow but want to know if it would be safe or effective to put neosporin ointment on it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
or even vaseline if it will ease the irritation

OK I understand. That's a great question. Neosporin may actually make it worse, because cats tend to be sensitive to the Neomycin component of it. you could use a little Polymyxin ointment, Benadryl cream, or over the counter hydrocortisone cream to ease it and make her more comfortable

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have hydrocortizone cream. I don't know if it is a wound or something else. She hasn't had the type of wet food I'm feeding (Best Feline Friend) and is eating the same dry kibble as usual. She loves my other cats and they chase each other a lot so it is possible she crashed hard. I don't think the others would bite her.

Yes it could be that she arched her back rubbing up against something and scratched it. Or it could be just a localized inflammatory lesion. Your vet will be able to tell. If it was a food allergy, it should show up in more than one spot though.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so I don't need to worry about catching or spreading anything to my other cats? Putting her in a carrier is going to be challenging (she was a stray and has trust issues) so I plan to scruff her - right where the sore spot is. I wish there were a better way.

Most likely it is not contagious. Ringworm is contagious but it typically does not look like this. there might be another way to make everything less stressful for her. Often times for an anxious cat, I will go ahead and prescribe a mild sedative for the owner to give 1 hour before the visit. This makes the experience much better for the pet. It is worth calling your vet and asking him/her about this option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good idea, I will do that. Fyi I put some cream on and she didn't like it. Licked it off and wouldn't let me wipe it clean. Guessing she is not a fan of the taste

lol, sorry, you tried

If you have time, can you please shoot me a message after the appointment ane let me know how it went? I don't often get to hear how things go. Also would you please click “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah shouldn't make anything worse. I did notice she scratched the area so there could be an allergy and the wound results from excessive scratching. Could just be scratching a regular wound too.
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson