Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is constantly licking his lips, producing a lot of…

Hello Pearl, my cat...

Hello Pearl, my cat is constantly licking his lips, producing a lot of saliva and is very skittish. We don't know of him eating anything unusual. This has happened in the last 30 minutes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is your cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 2 1/2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Loki?

No other health issues other than him requiring surgery for a bowel obstruction (almond) just over a year ago.

3/27/2018
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Loki who has been licking his lips and producing a lot of saliva. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Thank you.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. We have to consider a number of possible causes for Loki's skittishness and drooling/lip licking tonight including anything from a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything around your home or yard he could have gotten in to), to a primary oral issue (such as a gum injury or broken tooth), to even an issue causing nausea - to name just a few potential causes. For now, do have a look around your home to see if anything looks out of place. If he will let you - carefully look in his mouth to see if there is any sign of foreign material, a wound (or bleeding) and that the teeth look ok. Encourage your boy to have a good drink of water now if you can, an offer him a small amount of his regular food in case he is drooling after ingesting something bitter. Whatever the case, you are going to have to continue to keep a very close eye on him over the next couple of hours. In particular, please keep an eye Loki's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting or open mouth breathing at all tonight, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

If any of the above parameters aren't quite right, or if he is still drooling in another half hour, then do play it safe and get him seen by your local ER vet tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Pet Doc
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Everything is good. He snapped out of it a few hours later. I checked everything you mentioned and found nothing. So far, he's been up to his usual mischief.

Oh that's great - thank so much for the update.

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian