Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Trying to figure out what may be going on with our kitten.

Trying to figure out...

Trying to figure out what may be going on with our foster kitten

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the kitten?

Description on the web reads like anal prolapse

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the kitten seem to hurt?

Perfectly normal best i can tell ... eats like a race horse , gaining weight but persistent diaherria and red tissue visible at the rectum

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Yes, rectum does not look normal to me. is it possible to upload a pic ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the kitten eating normally?

Nearly 12 oz daily of Tiki cat canned chicken

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the kitten having trouble peeing or pooing?

Doesn't appear to be staining on either function

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the kitten behaving differently?

No behavior issue ... seems normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Stering , picture upload is not possible ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stering?

Yes, 15 weeks now ... treated in shelter at 4 weeks for blood in stool , coccidiosis

3/27/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Y​es, You can upload a picture on here using the paperclip icon that should be at the top of this chat box if you are on the computer. How long has the tissue been protruding? Is he still having diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I'm on mobile ... don't see a paperclip
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
there is an add file option

Okay, use the add file option then

The rectal prolapse is not going to go away until you get the diarrhea under control. What medications is he currently on?

I ​would also put him on a bland diet of just plain cooked chicken or just plain cooked turkey. That will be easier to digest.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
pic option is messed up

The rectal prolapse is not going to go away, and may continue to get worse, while he is having diarrhea. He may have coccidian still. He may also have a bacterial infection. You need to take him to another vet and have a fecal test done. It is not that expensive of a test. You can call a vet clinic and they can tell you the price. It is not going to be something you can diagnose at home because you can not do a fecal test and you do not have the medications you need to treat the cause.

T​he rectum was not in the picture you sent me either but a cat with diarrhea, and pink tissue sticking out of the rectum, would be a rectal prolapse.

L​ike I mentioned earlier, put him on a bland diet of plain cooked chicken or plain cooked ground turkey for now. If you do not want to cook use grocery store rotisserie chicken meat but no bones.

Were you able to read what I wrote? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
doesnt a cooked diet require supplements

N​ot if you are going to to use it for less than a month. But you will be taking him into the vet in the next few days so it will not be an issue.

R​ight now any supplement may make his diarrhea worse. He needs to see a vet asap and have a fecal test.

T​he food you have him on is good but it may make the diarrhea worse until the underlying gastrointestinal issue is resolved. So stick with the bland diet for now.

Yes, that is a prolapsed rectum. Any food that is not a bland diet can make it worse. So a bland diet would be the plain cooked chicken meat or plain cooked ground turkey meat.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
what about vitamins and minerals ?

H​e needs to see a vet tomorrow. The prolapsed rectum may need to be surgically corrected. That needs to be done tomorrow.

T​he rectal tissue is put back into the rectum and loose sutures are placed around the rectum to help the tissue in the rectums so it does not come out.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
thank you

You are welcome. If the shelter will not return your call then bring him back in tomorrow. That is what I would do.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian