Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 16 years male.. he has acute constipation

Customer Question
My cat is 16...

My cat is 16 years male.. he has acute constipation issue..this time I got pet-ema and did it myself.. I have done warm water before but not enema. He was also vomiting more this time. He is in some sort of pain in the back. There is no OTC pain med for cat. Can you suggest a way to help him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

I don’t know. I tried slippery elm for a week. 20 drops. I don’t whether that is the issue. I usually give moral ax morning and evening. His body was getting immune to that. So wanted to him a break.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Nemo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nemo?

His feces are either dark gray with no moisture or light brown with no moisture. It is bulky

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/27/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 28 days ago
Sheena Christensen

Hi there! I am Dr. Christensen.

Sorry to hear that Nemo is constipated. I will do what I can to help. You may already know some of this, but I just want to make sure we are covering everything.

First, please make sure that he is urinating. Straining to urinate and straining to defecate can look very similar and it is important to know that he is still urinating, as not urinating can be life threatening.

It sounds like you were already giving mirilax, which is a great option for constipated kitties. If that is no longer effective, you can try canned pumpkin as a good source of fiber. I would also recommend feeding canned cat food rather than solid kibble. The canned food will have more fluid in it and hydration for these kitties is really important. Getting them hydrated is what will allow them to start defecating normally and allow enemas to be more effective.

If it is a long haired cat, hair balls can be responsible and an over the counter product called Laxatone can be given.

If that is not working and if Nemo is not eating or is vomiting, then he needs to visit the veterinarian for IV Fluids. That will be the fastest way to hydrate and correct electrolytes and get him back to having normal bowel movements.

Cat Veterinarian: Sheena Christensen,
 replied 28 days ago

I hope there was some helpful information for you. These situations can be frustrating and sometimes do not resolve immediately. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If you have a moment, your positive rating is greatly appreciated. You can do this by clicking on the stars at the top of your screen.

And again, please don't hesitate with future questions.

- Dr. Christensen

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I see that he is in pain.. every time when we visit vet they give him pain med along with enema.. is there an OTC pain med for cat. If he is in pain, he is holding the poop, I think makes it dry and bulky.. that’s is my main question. I will check about urine. Thanks..
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen
Sheena Christensen