Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 8 year old diabetic cat whom I’ve been giving 5…

Customer Question
I have a 8...

I have a 8 year old diabetic cat whom I’ve been giving 5 units of Lantus twice a day12 hours apart for 8 years! As you probably know it cost almost $300, but it lasts me approximately 3 months! Is there any other cheaper insulin I can give him that wouldn’t compromise his health and how how often and what dose?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sorry the cat has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

DG

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about DG?

No, seems really healthy!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/26/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 3 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good evening, Trina. Have you discussed switching up insulins with your vet yet? Is DG well regulated on the Lantus?

he is regulated!

Have you discussed switching up insulins with your vet yet?​

The vet I have been taking him to moved and started practice elsewhere

So it sounds like you've got two concerns here: 1) finding a new vet and 2) finding a new insulin.

In short, this is not something that can be done over the internet. You'll not only need a vet who can prescribe the insulin but you'll also need to have DG switched over in a practice setting. There is no hard and fast rule for switching cats from one insulin to another. We choose the insulin based on what suits the owner best, ***** ***** giving it in office, perform a glucose curve and once stable numbers have been achieved the pet is then discharged for home care. This is likely the same thing that DG experienced when Lantus was first started to regulate his diabetes. Following this, most vets will want to see a cat back for a glucose curve every 4-6 months following to ensure good regulation and tweak the numbers a bit to ensure the glucose is in the ideal range.

Insulin options to consider include:

• Humulin-R
  • Humulin-N
  • Vetsulin
  • Levemir

These all tend to be more reasonably priced but the tricky part is in determining how long each vial will last for DG. 5 units of Lantus may translate to higher or lower unit measurements in another insulin based on his response to it.

If you'd like my help finding you a new vet in the area, I'll need your city and state.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Good morning, JACustomer. Checking in. How is your companion doing today? ​

Hi Trina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy