Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My do is in Royal Caniin gastrointestinal food due to

sensitive stomach. Would it be...
My do is in Royal Caniin gastrointestinal food due to sensitive stomach. Would it be okay to give her freeze dried beef chews for a treat? It’s Stella and Chewys brand and I wanted to try a treat that maybe she could “stomach” since she doesn’t seem to handle processed treats like dog biscuits very well.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog is being treated for a sensitive stomach with a prescription diet. Your question is if you can give frozen Stella and Chewys beef chews as a treat. Is that a correct summary of your question?

I am looking into the fat content of these chews. I will respond shortly.

Thank you for waiting. The company does not list the ingredient or percentage of fat on the website. However, it does say that 95% of the ingredient is meat, so as long as there is no sensitivity to the beef then this should be safe to give in conjunction with the prescription diet. However, some dogs have upset stomach with any change of food. Therefore, a strict diet is recommended with absolutely no changes. This is based on a case-by-case basis and not every dog with a history of sensitive stomach issues need to be treated this way. Other safe options to consider are home cooking chicken breast and giving that as a treat. Chicken is low in fat and as long as there is no underlying sensitivity to chicken then it is safe as well.

Does that help to answer your question?

Thank you

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry