Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 9 day old kitten. Left eye is open. Right eye not…

I have a 9...

I have a 9 day old kitten. Left eye is open. Right eye not open and has some drainage. Mom cat is not here to take care of the kitten. Is there any thing I can do to clean the eye.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the kitten?

Right eye drainage

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the kitten seem to hurt?

She is hurt..Just has Right eye drainage

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the kitten's name?

Keely

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Keely?

She was born to a feral cat tht will not care for her

3/26/2018
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Thompson, a small animal veterinarian since 2000. Thanks for your question. I understand you have a very young kitten with eye drainage in one eye and the other eye is not open yet. Is that correct?

A few simple things you can try at home to clean the eye drainage:

1. Use a warm, wet washcloth held over the eye with discharge for several minutes to soften any dried debris on Keely's eye lids. Be careful not to rub as that can cause too much irritation. You can also hold the warm washcloth over the eye that is not open for a few minutes.

2. Use sterile saline solution you can purchase in the drug store to flush the eye itself. Make sure you don't use contact lens cleaning or multi-purpose solution.

3. Repeat these steps once or twice a day.

If the kitten is not eating or the symptoms get worse, you should take her to see a vet. Many eye problems in young cats stem from viral infections that may pass if they are given good supportive care. However, in a few cases the eyes can be severely affected, even leading to blindness.

I hope I’ve answered your question to your satisfaction. Don’t hesitate to ask follow up questions if you have any. If finished, the best incentive you can give me to continue helping here on JustAnswer is a 5-star rating. Just click on the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thanks!

Thank you

Do you still want a phone call?

No Thank you

OK... thanks for responding :) Hope your kitten feels better soon!

Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian