Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 18 months old and is a sterilized male cat. He…

Customer Question
Hi there, my cat...

Hi there, my cat is 18 months old and is a sterilized male cat. He started acting out of character yesterday and was very lethargic and sleepy (could barely keep his eyes open) and no appetite. This morning I took him to the vet and his general check up was good - no swollen glands, chest and stomach normal - except his temperature was high at 41 degrees Celsius and climbing. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot which also has cortisone in it. We have a follow up appointment in 3 days time. My cat is still really lethargic and still no appetite and not thirsty and the injection was administered 2 and a half hours ago ...should this be a concern? We live on an island with very basic veterinary care so just looking for a second opinion. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. It could be an infection. The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

He is very active normally ... spends all day exploring and being a cat ( we rescued him at 4 months so he still has a bit of feral in him) and sleeps at night. He is very "talkative" and demanding with us so at the moment the lethargy and quiet behavior is a concern for us. He suffers with a IBS ... certain store brand cat foods give him diarrhea so he eats a specific brand for sensitive stomachs and we have learnt the foods to avoid. We have his tummy checked out often and no vet on the island has ever said its a major worry and when they do the physical exam they never find any problems. Even though he is sterilized he does like to play Sheriff and keep other cats off his turf ... although I cant see any infected wounds (and he has had those before - he usually licks them a lot and they become noticeable).

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/26/2018
Cat Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back soon with a reply.

I'm sorry he's not feeling well! I'm glad you've already seen your vet and gotten some medicines on board. Although there's no way for me to make a diagnosis, with a temperature that high I always think of a condition called "Fever of Unknown Origin (FUO)." It's cause is unknown (obviously from the name) but it causes a very high fever for a few days. It could be viral in origin. Usually symptomatic care is all that's needed: antibiotics (just in case), anti-inflammatories to lower fever, and sometimes fluids if not eating well. The fever typically breaks in 48-72 hours.

Crossing me fingers that he does great! Feed him whatever he'll eat. Let me know if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer; I am not compensated otherwise. You can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

How's he doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrSarah