Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I just adopted a kitten from the humane society and she has…

Customer Question
I just adopted a...

I just adopted a kitten from the humane society and she has tape worms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

Trinity. I have an older cat, appprox. l8 mo also. Don't know if tape worms spread using same litter box.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Trinity?

She weighs 7 lbs. I had her at the vet two day ago and asked if the kitten had worms and the vet said I would see tape worms but not other kinds of worms and that is all she said. My other cat weighs 11 lbs

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/26/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Cats commonly have two types of worms that can be seen with the naked eye.

Small, grains of rice type worms are tapeworms. These are picked up by eating an infected flea or prey item (like a mouse of bird). The good news is that the egg packets she is passing are not directly infectious to your other cat, they must be eaten by an intermediate host (flea or prey item) and then they finish developing and that flea or prey would have to be eaten by your other cat. The egg packets can be passed with stool or on their own. Sometimes we see them stuck on the hair coat around the anus.

If you don't get rid of all the fleas, or your cats go outside to hunt they will continue to be a problem as she will continue to reinfest herself. They are easily treated with a medication called Praziquantel. See this link for an example of a wormer with Praziquantel.

https://www.chewy.com/bayer-tapeworm-cat-de-wormer-3-count/dp/139677?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Bayer&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8PyZyf-I2gIVSrjACh35pgZcEAQYASABEgJU5PD_BwE

The other type of worm we can see cats pass are roundworms. They are long white/tan spaghetti worms. They are transmitted by walking through stool contaminated with eggs and then licking their paws. The are easily treated with a different medication called pyrantel, which is available in many pet stores or from your veterinarian. This worm can be passed to your other kitty if the two cats share a litter box. They are passed via eggs passed in the infected cat's stool getting on your other cat's paws when she goes in the litter box, and then she licks her paws later.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!