Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My friend's cat has been shot, the bullet is still in there.

My friend's cat has...

My friend's cat has been shot, the bullet is still in there. It's in the area between his groin and leg. This happened late last night I think. I'll have to ask. The cat is walking around now, but still... My friend can't afford to take him to the vet. I'm wondering what he can do.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat have a fall?

Did he have a fall? He's walking around alright, but the bullet is still in there.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

His name is*****: How old is Pit?

I need to ask. I don't believe he is very old, he used to be a stray. He hasn't even been neutered yet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pit?

He's around a year old

3/26/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

***************

Cat's getting shot is actually a more common occurence than you may think. Often we take an xray of a cat for some other reasons and we find buck or pellets in the cat that are doing no damage at all.

You will need to just monitor the cat. If continues to walk around ok, eat ok and be 'normal' then it is highly likely that the bullet will be doing no harm.

If they have survived th intial shooting then often the biggest risk is infection. There is no way to tell if this will occur or to stop it happening. You will know if they get an infection as they will become unwell and stop eating. Then they will need vet care.

Alright, thank you so much. He is eating and walking around, and has even tried running. I've been putting antibiotic ointment on the wound and hope that will do something.

Ok. That is a good idea.

Can I help you anymore before I log off?

No, everything is fine. Thank you so much.

My pleasure

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Veterinarian101