Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 13yr old cat. Gypsy was over weight I have changed…

I have a 13yr...

I have a 13yr old cat. Gypsy was over weight I have changed her diet and she is slowly progressing. I took her to a vet in my area because she was having trouble walking. Instead of walking on the pads of her paws she is heavily walking with her leg up to her elbow I guess on the floor.
I was told she is diabetic which is because of her weight. The office wanted to keep her for 24 hrs to do blood sugar and she would then be on shots for the rest of her life. If I was to let them do this is it going to make a difference in her walking? Also I have to give her a bath weekly to get the litter off her legs and tail since she can't really stand straight up anymore. I just don't understand that the insulin shots would make a difference on her back legs. Really Really need help, I have had her for the whole 13yrs of her life and just not sure what to do to help/fix her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat have a fall?

No not that we have ever seen. she doesn't even go up on the furniture because of her legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Gypsy Rose

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gypsy?

I don't think so as I said I have had her for her entire life. I got her when she was only 3wks old. She should have still been with her mother. I and my son had to feed her. When she was 6 months she was fixed and declawed. She had never been outside. Also as I said she is and has been overweight, when at the dr's she weighed 16lbs

3/25/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gypsy Rose. You appear to be describing diabetic neuropathy in cats that are chronically hyperglycemic - about 10 percent of diabetic cats are affected. The progression to this condition may take several months, and, if properly treated, it can resolve within six to 12 months. The femoral nerve is most commonly affected.

An affected femoral nerve can lead to a plantigrade gait, which is walking on the whole sole of the foot (e.g., like rabbits, bears, and people) as you've described. In cats, this gait takes the shape of walking on hocks (heels), and the tarsal joints and nerves of the hind legs are progressively damaged, leading to pain, numbness, and weakness or paralysis. The first sign of neuropathy in cats is often weak hind legs. As the condition progresses, the cat won't be able to stand on its toes. Jumping will become increasingly difficult until it's impossible. Eventually, the cat's legs will seem to slip out from under it, and the cat will be unable to walk. These are signs of motor and sensory nerve damage.

Fortunately, in the early stages, this damage is reversible by regulating blood glucose concentrations. Regulation alone is the treatment of choice to reverse neuropathy in cats. However, some anecdotal evidence suggests that a specific form of vitamin B12, methylcobalamin, may help these patients recover more quickly. Methylcobalamin is thought to promote nerve regrowth and can be absorbed in the spinal fluid. It is not the same as the injectable B12 given to cats that have a true deficiency due to gastrointestinal disease, and it is typically referred to as methyl-B12. A veterinarian should be consulted before using this product.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian