Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
99041463

My cat started a little while ago having problems going to

Customer Question

my cat started a little while ago having problems going to the bathroom. Little drops of blood are coming out and she does not want anyone near her. She is about 14 years old. Is there anything I can do today to help her
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Princess I think she is 14 she was a stray
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Princess?
Customer: not that I know of she really does not go to a vt. the last time she went was 2 or 3 years ago for a cat bite
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Schmidt replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. When we see blood from the rectumin the stool this is a sign of inflammation in the large intestines (colon). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.

In this case, I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and a fecal analysis as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Metamucil, 1 capsule on the food twice a day, which is a fiber supplement that can help with the blood. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they have blood on the stool. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!