Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is older; she has had a cough and sounded congested…

Customer Question
My cat is older...

My cat is older; she has had a cough and sounded congested for a long time, it has been occasionaly; this year it is commen, she started to be our barn cat, she still is when she wants to be, but mostly inside except to potty.she does not use litter goes outside, she eats well and seems healthy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is this new behavior?

No, I have actually given her pennicillen in th past,nothing changed

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is your cat's name and age?

Kitty Kitten probably 12-13 now

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Kitty Kitten

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your kitten?

She has no fleas, Iuse revolution for fleas,mites and worms.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 3 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm sorry to hear that Kitty Kitten has been experiencing these symptoms for quite a while. It's possible that she has allergies to something in her food or in her environment that is causing her to have extra mucus dripping down her throat, causing her to cough due to congestion. Another possibility is chronic bronchitis or asthma, which can be treated with medication. Pneumonia is also possible. Coughing is a protective reflex intended to rid the respiratory tract of foreign particles, mucus, irritants and microbes. It is not a disease in itself but it is a sign of an underlying problem.

For the moment, you can give her an antihistamine (only) to help reduce congestion (never give a cat a decongestant, itself, or in a combination cold medicine, as it cannot be tolerated), and use a humidifier when she's in the house. You can use Benadryl or Chlor-Trimeton, but, I prefer Chlor-Trimeton, because the Benadryl tablets taste bitter. Here is information about precautions and dosage for both medications:

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/diphenhydramine-benadryl-for-dogs-and-cats/

----------

https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton-for-dogs-and-cats/

----------

Coughing in an older cat can also be a symptom of a heart problem, like feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or heartworm disease. These possibilities, of course, must be evaluated by a vet, in person, to get a diagnosis and then, a prescribed treatment, if needed. Try to have her seen by a vet as soon as possible, so you can find out the cause of her symptoms and have them treated. Here is more information for you to read, about coughing in cats:

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=3019

-------

I hope this helped and you are able to get her seen by a vet, asap and all will be well with Kitty Kitten! Please let me know, if you're able, what the vet's findings are. Thanks!

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now, does not close your question). We can continue our conversation here, until you are satisfied; simply use the reply box to let me know if you need further information. Thank you!

Best regards,

Cher

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Hello, again.

Just following up on Kitty Kitten. How is she doing today?

Were you able to have her seen by a vet for diagnosis and treatment? I hope so, and she has improved.

Please take a moment to rate my answer positively, so I can receive credit from the website for my time and assistance. If you need any further information, please hit 'Reply' and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

Best regards,

Cher