Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I'm virtually certain my two-year-old otherwise healthy cat…

Customer Question
Hello. I'm virtually certain...

Hello. I'm virtually certain my two-year-old otherwise healthy cat has a bladder infection. I caught her peeing and it was pink, so looks like blood in her urine. She's eating and drinking normally, maybe drinking a bit more than normal. Is it possible to have a prescription filled out for her? Or do I need to take her to an in person vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's 2 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Sweetheart?

2 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sweetheart?

No I don't think so.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/25/2018
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Hello, if it's not possible for you to provide me a prescription today that I can fill locally here, I'd rather not move forward. I will just take her into a vet tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Sweetheart today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

I'm sorry Sweetheart is experiencing these symptoms but I would definitely not delay getting her into your veterinarian for an exam. As you suspected, these are signs of a problem with her urinary system, but it very likely is not an infection based on her age. Cats can be affected by a condition called Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) which is the name given to a set of symptoms from various causes that can affect a cat's urinary system. The causes are varied and the age of the cat partly influences the likelihood of the cause. (ie older cats are more prone to bacterial infections than younger cats). Other common causes include bladder stones, crystals, tumors, and sometimes just inflammation from an unknown cause (more common in younger cats and referred to as feline idiopathic cystitis or FIC). Unfortunately, they all can show the same symptoms, no matter the cause and all are treated a little differently.

It would not be appropriate to treat her with antibiotics as it is most likely not a bacterial infection that she is dealing with and more likely FIC. Here is a link with more information about this condition in cats. Until you can have her seen by your vet, your best course of action is to try to increase her fluid intake by watering down her food or offering tuna juice or broth for her to drink. LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

Okay, thank you. I will take her into my vet tomorrow.

You are welcome. I hope she isn't too uncomfortable. Your vet will be able to provide her with something for pain if she is.