Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 5 cats. One of them has always had ear Infection,

I have 5 cats...

I have 5 cats. One of them has always had ear Infection, runny nose, sneezing. Was told his will never be health. I'm at my wits end on him being sick now my other 4 cats are sneezing and runny nose. What can I do? It's very hard dealing with no meds I have tried has worked

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Skittles about 8 years old, which started all of this. Then mama about 6yrs old stuffy nose sneezing. Butterscotch 1yr old same symptoms

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

When they are on meds it's very hard to give them any of them.

3/25/2018
Sean Egan

Hi there, this is Dr. Sean. I’ll be happy to answer your question about

Please ignore any request for a phone call service. Those are automatically generated by the website and I can not stop that from occurring. I can answer your question in this text chat.

What meds have you had them on?

Zeniquin 25mg and diphenhydramine 10mg
I have to clean his ears out everyday and the color is greenish yellow

Given the fact that all of the cats have the runny nose, sneezing signs, it is most likely that the cause of the respiratory infection is herpes or calici virus. Other than some l-lysine gel/chews to boost their immune systems, there's not a lot you can treat their viruses with- much like colds in people- you can treat the symptoms, but the virus has to be killed by the body's immune system. Herpes in cats is a lot like herpes in people (but not contagious to people)- it tends to make them sneeze and have runny eyes, then they get it under control, it remains dormant for a while, then comes out again when they are stressed and their immune system becomes weak.

A​s far as the ears go, has Skittles had an otoscopic exam to check for polyps?

No the vet said if he has one that there isn't much they can do for it
No vet around does that I don't even know where to start for that process

Surgery can be done. Sometimes you can pull them out of the ears, or, in some cases the polyp will be under the soft palate and you can grab it and pull it out that way. In extreme cases, the ear can be opened up and the polyp removed from the inside, but that is a pretty extensive surgery. I just had a polyp last week that I was able to pull out of a cat's throat with forceps under anesthesia, and it was about the size of a small chestnut.

Is that a cure for the eat infection

If it is a polyp, then it is the polyp causing the infection as the body is rejecting the mass and trying to get rid of it. Once the mass is gone, there's no reason for the body to produce pus in the ears anymore. If this is not a polyp, then the ear should be swabbed and tested for what kind of bacteria are present and what antibiotic would be best to fight it. That's called a culture and sensitivity.

Most vets will carry an immune system booster like l-lysine in the form of a gel or chewables to give the cats with these viruses. It would certainly be worth a try.

Here's a link to an article regarding upper respiratory disease in cats

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=613

Thank u

You’re very welcome. I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you have any further questions, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Sean Egan