Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is not wanting food or treats and a little lethargic.

She is not wanting...

She is not wanting food or treats and a little lethargic. the only thing I had done differently was plug in an air freshener a couple of days ago. I have since taken it out of the house and opened some doors to air out the house. Can these be poisonous? she did not consume any of it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what the cat ate?

She just eats her normal dry and canned food and treats

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

Not that I can think of- she is a pretty normal cat

3/25/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind

Can you tell me a little more about your cat?

How old is she?

How long has she been refusing treats?

Is she still drinking and eliminating normally?

Thank you! She is almost 3 years old. She just started refusing treats this morning. She seems to be drinking normally and is eliminating normally also.
I have terrible phone reception where I currently am. I would just need a response online if that is okay.

If you are receiving an offer for a phone consultation, please note that it is not from me. It is autogenerated by the site. I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time, but would be happy to continue chatting with you here. I am typing a reply currently.

A cat that refuses food is always a big concern since cats are so good at hiding their illness and often by the time they let us know, they are sicker than we thought, but there are very many reasons why that can happen. Plug in air fresheners are not toxic but cats are very sensitive to scents and it may be irritating to her. It is good that you have decided not to use it. Since this just started today and since she is still drinking, you can monitor for the next 2- 24 hours to see if it resolves on it's own. If by tomorrow, she is still not wanting to eat or if she starts vomiting, I would definitely have her evaluated by your vet so that they can examine her and get to a diagnosis for her anorexia. Many times we need to rely on bloodwork or xray to find the cause especially if nothing abnormal is noted on the exam. It can be a challenge in some cats to pinpoint the cause, but fortunately many of them resolve on their own or we can manage with symptomatic care such as a diet change or appetite stimulants. Hopefully, that will be the case with her!

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated.