Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 3 yr cat that always has diarrhea. He is an outdoor…

I have a 3...

I have a 3 yr cat that always has diarrhea. He is an outdoor cat mainly. He is always hungry and thirsty. Is it some sort of parasite (worms) or is it his diet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Carson

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Carson?

He isn't neutered. Live on a farm. Had this problem on and off his whole life.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Has he had diarrhea since he was a kitten?

What does it look like? Any blood?

Have any tests been done? Has he been on any treatment before for this?

Are his gums pink, yellow, or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

he has.
color matches what he ate.
Every once in awhile there will be blood but not often.
No. Just over the counter stuff for this.
Gums seam to be normal.
We have dewormed him and seems to get better for awhile. That's why I thought it might be a parasite.

Awwh, poor guy.

Now if he has had diarrhea since kittenhood, its quite possible it could be a chronic parasite or protozoal infection. That said, there are also chronic bacteria and viral (ie coronavirus) that can also cause long term diarrhea in cats. I would just note that diarrhea usually will steal fluids and nutrients from animals (even us), so tht is likely why he is so hungry and thirsty, because this will be taking a good chunk of what his intestines should be absorbing.

Now given the situation, the best thing we can do here would be collect a stool sample and submit it to the local vet (or directly to the vet lab) for testing. This can be done without even having him seen and it would be a means of pinpointing which of the above is the root cause for his signs. Once we know that we can target treatment to address this for him.

In the meantime though, I do want to note some supportive care we can start here. First, given that he likely is losing a lot of nutrients in stool, we'd want to consider an easily digestible but balanced diet for him. Often I will use an OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity control or gastrointestinal diet) for these cases. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Furthermore, since he sounds quite loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies(of course avoid Imodium, Pepto Bismol or salicylic acid/aspirin containing products as those aren't cat friendly). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Finally, I would advise keeping up on monthly worming for him. That way we make sure he is free of any existing worms but also preventing infection establishment of new worms should he be a keen wildlife hunter. And there are a range on the market we can use, though Fenbendazole/Panacur may be better for him since it would cover for some protozoal agents as well.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. But a stool sample should be tested because for him to have had these signs since he was little suggests a chronic infection as opposed to IBD (which they tend to get as adults). So, getting that tested would be a good step here to ID which of the above is to blame so we can treat Carson for it.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Thank you.

You are very welcome, my dear.
Have a lovely day,
Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.