Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Not eating sleeping a lot. Incontinent of urine. 10 yo

Not eating sleeping a...

Not eating sleeping a lot. Incontinent of urine. 10 yo tonkinese cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Binnie . 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Binnie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Binnie?

She has flv. Has been having ataxic ambulation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/25/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. Can you prescribe over the internet. No decent emergency clinic for my cat here in Myrtle Beach.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My number is(###) ###-####

I am sorry to hear that Binnie is not eating, weak, sleeping much more than usual, uncoordinated when she tries to move, and urine incontinent. I understand that she has a history of being FIV positive.

Unfortunately cats with FIV are prone to developing severe kidney failure earlier in life than healthy cats. Increased levels of kidney waste products, which are not being properly cleared due to failing kidneys, affect brain function and appetite. Both effects of the waste products on her brain and altered electrolyte levels along with low levels of blood glucose, because she isn't eating, will affect her coordination and mental status.

Of course as she drinks more to compensate for her failing kidneys, and her kidneys trying to flush out waste products via mass urine amounts being made she may suffer overflow incontinence. Simply too much urine being made to hold it.

I understand that you would prefer home treatment, but she sounds well beyond that.

I cannot prescribe medication for her, no veterinarian can prescribe medication for an animal they have not physically examined, that would be malpractice and cause to lose our license. Even if I could it would not be helpful for her at this stage.

She needs hospitalization, intravenous fluids, injectable antibiotics and appetite stimulants as well as medication to soothe uremic ulcers in her gastrointestinal tract. Unfortunately we cannot always reverse the damage with some kitties in this state so that they can get to a reasonable quality of life.

If you are not comfortable with the emergency clinics in your area to try and settle her stomach today and make her more comfortable you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and could help her feel more comfortable.

Try to keep her quiet and confined today, push fluids (tuna juice, chicken broth) and have her examined tomorrow by her regular veterinarian.

Sorry about the offer of a phone call. That is an automatic, site generated offer that many licensed veterinarians are unable to fulfill. Many states/province licensing boards do not allow veterinarians to communicate via phone calls, unless they have previously physically examined a pet. The states and Province I am licensed in have that restriction. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can reply and ask any follow-up questions regarding my written response and I will be happy to respond to them here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your kind advice. I understand. I will just remove the 28 dollars the website charged me. Thank you

I'll ask that you be credited back for the phone call.

I'm sorry to hear that things are so tough for your girl.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian