Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has diabetes. He is puking dark. I noticed it

My cat has diabetes...

My cat has diabetes. He is puking dark brown. I noticed it yesterday but lately he pukes a lot at least once a day. He is eating, purring and drinking. I have a vet appointment Friday. Should I get there sooner.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

No but he has a tendency to eat whatever scraps he can find.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your cat's name and age?

Jerry, 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jerry?

Just that he has diabetes

3/25/2018
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Jerry. Is he eating normally? Any diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he’s eating normally. I’ve seen some in the box lately, but not all the time.

There are many reasons for him to be vomiting: pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), liver disease, a reaction to a food ingredient.

What is he eating now?

Is his blood sugar well regulated?

If he is eating, I would probably wait to see his regular veterinarian who knows him.

You could try 1/4th of a 10 mg famotidine (Pepcid AC) twice daily for vomiting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Blue buffalo adult dry and blue buffalo chicken patte. He gets 2 shots a day (2 units each time)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Human Pepcid ac?

Has he had a blood sugar reading recently to see if if 2 units twice daily is keeping his blood sugar under control, under 250?

I like a diabetic diet like Glycobalance for diabetic cats.

Yes, human Pepcid. 2.5 mg twice daily for vomiting for cats.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His appointment is Friday. So you think it’s okay to wait?

I would check the fat content on the Blue Buffalo; some of these grain free diets are high in fat.

If he is eating, it should be OK to wait. I would not take him to an emergency clinic, but I might try to see your regular vet sooner if you can.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No hasn’t had it read. That’s why I made the appt. should I get some device to read it myself and monitor it more closely?

I have the best luck controlling diabetes when the owner get an Alphtrak glucometer and check blood sugars at home and call me with the results.

If he has not had a blood sugar reading recently, I would try to see your vet as early in the week as you can get an appointment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He only works on Friday. You think I should just see the other vet even though I don’t trust her like him?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you think the dark brown vomit is related to the diabetes? I did see some red when I dabbed it off the carpet

No, do not take him to a vet you do not trust or like. If he is eating, Friday should be OK.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is purring, so that has to be a good sign, right?

Yes!

If he stops eating, that would be a reason to take him to the vet sooner.

Since starting on insulin, is he drinking less water?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t know. We have a fountain. It’s hard to tell

Normal water consumption is a good sign that diabetes is being controlled. He should have a blood sugar reading done, but waiting to see your regular vet who knows him would be best, ***** ***** as he is eating. You could try the Pepcid and see if that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thanks. What about the red in the vomit though?

Red in the vomit can be blood, but if it is red it is undigested blood. That can just mean that the process of vomiting irritated the stomach lining. I thought you said the vomit was dark brown?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is, but when I dabbed it off the carpet I did see red particles/spots on the tissue. The dark brown is bile, correct?

The dark brown can be the food. Bile is bright yellow.

The red particles could be something in the food.

Please let me know how he is doing and if you have other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Anything else dark brown could indicate? It’s never been that color before.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay sorry.

It is not an unusual color for cat vomit. A combination of food, bile, stomach acid. We really worry when vomit looks like coffee grounds; that is a sign of internal bleeding.

Thanks for the good rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your help.

You are welcome; thanks for the bonus.

You are welcome; thanks for the bonus.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian